Friday, July 19, 2013

This Week at Toddler Storytime--Constuction

At toddler storytime, everything is better if it involves moving those little bodies. For Tip Tip Dig Dig by Emma Garcia, everybody tapped their legs on the repetetive words--"lift, lift, lift". Next, we built a shape house with a story and patterns from A Treasury of Flannelboard Stories by Jeanette Graham Bay.
Some of the pieces from Shapes and More Shapes
After reading I Love Tools! by Philomen Sturges, we put out Johnny's hammers inspired by Miss Meg's Storytime. I had the kids help me count the hammers and name the colors, and I asked them if they could work with 5 hammers. I demonstrated how to do it, and we sang the traditional song using the lyrics on Songs for Teaching.


Pop-ups are another sure thing with toddlers. We read Truck Jam by Paul Strickland and practiced driving with I'm Gonna Drive My Car by Laurie Berkner. We always hang out and play for a little while after storytime. We have these awesome musical hammers, so I put them out along with some blocks. Those little cuties could have hammered those blocks all day. Have fun reading to your little ones this week!

No comments: