Friday, June 3, 2016

Flannel Friday: Felt in the Sensory Table

We have a sensory table in our Ready to Read Center (we open the storytime room for play whenever we are not using it for programming). I definitely have to think differently for the library than I do in my preschool classroom when it comes to what I can put in a sensory table. I have written a few posts about "library friendly" sensory table ideas, and I realized this one would be perfect for Flannel Friday. It was easy to make and has a lot of play value.

We had a large piece of brown felt, so I cut it into strips. At first I had very long pieces (fewer pieces equals less mess, right?), but the long pieces bunched up into one large pile--not much digging satisfaction there. So I cut the strips 12" to 18" long. I made many worms of different lengths and colors--great for sorting and comparing.

A not-so-great picture of my worms. They are much more fun than they look.

A fellow staffer painted some beautiful story stones for us, so I always try to include some of those in the sensory table. 

I couldn't have added enough flowers! They decorate every area of our Ready to Read Center right now. I was surprised and delighted to find that the flowers stand up in the dirt. A few pots and tools, and our garden was complete!


We use the Step2 brand "Naturally Playful Sand Table" as a sensory table. It is shallow but durable and has a cover. We have two of them, and they have worked out very well for us.

Mel's Desk is hosting the roundup this week. Find all things Flannel Friday on the blog and on Pinterest.

No comments: